Saturday, November 27, 2010

Rollin' w/ Noobs

I love the word noob. Some may say it's derogatory. Yet, for me, it's a term of endearment for the beginners. I've trained in the martial arts(poorly) for 30 years. I've been a noob MANY times. Switching styles, starting over from white belt on multiple occasions - I believe I can speak for us noobs. I've heard brand new black belts in BJJ refer to themselves as whitebelts among black belts. This is so true. We are all noobs, and will continue being noobs forever!

The poor noob will make a few mistakes along the way. One of the most critical mistakes a noob may make in any martial art style is CONTROL. Rather not a mistake per se, it's something learned over time. Until that time, noobs should be treated with the respect usually reserved for an unexploded TNT pile after the detonation plunger has been pressed...

Let me draw a few pictures to explain. You may need to click to zoom.



And the match starts IBJJF style....

And the metamorphosis starts. As a rule of thumb, if your opponents pupils are spirals, one should probably sound the alarm...

Aaaand he attacks. 2000% as usual. Another sign you may be in SERIOUS danger is the "...saw on Youtube..." statement. One must be wary of the Youtube Warrior, and wear your steel gi.

Any attempts at demonic possession, or multidimensional soul extraction by your opponent should not be taken lightly.

As always treat your noobs with respect after the roll, no matter how bad you smash him...

There you have it! Be nice to noobs, you were once one!
Mark

5 comments:

  1. Awesomely funny! I remember sparring with this goofy gal when I was a white belt, actually we were both white belts; she was a petite lady, and unfortunately, extremely insecure. I always got paired with her because we were usually the only two females in class. Her throws, dear god, I can't believe my internal organs still function, as her throws were full out, into the ground, break cement, forceful. One time she threw me so hard a few of guys winced when they heard me hit the mat. I would say, "Hey, can you go lighter? I'm still warming up." She would smile sweetly and say, "Oh, no problem!" And then BAM, another earth shattering throw. Lucky for me, she quit before being promoted to blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dagney, one of our guys is a monster(200+ lbs). During wrestling class he was launching full speed through the air, landing forehead first on my sternum. My puny 155 lbs corpse would smash nicely onto the mat with that monster on me... After a few times, our wrestling coach had enough and had him work with a bigger guy. He's been around for about 2.5 years, hardly a noob too! He's a good guy, but it's either 1000% on or off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thoughts nothing wrong with being a noob (new), just don't be a nub (none useful body).

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I have to say...is that your drawings are killing me. I don't know why, but the slap/bump is cracking me up.

    I'm still terrified of fresh meat on the mats. I'm pretty new myself, but I always fear the retaliation of "oh crap...I'm being beaten by a girl!"

    ReplyDelete