Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A soldier will fight....

 ...long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.  ~Napoleon

My longtime BJJ buddy Vernoplata came over today for some cardio work. First time for him ever to train cardio with me. I warned him :)

He wants to compete in NAGA so I offered up The Bat Dojo as a place for him to expand his lungs and feel what almost dying is like. Twice a week until NAGA, Vernoplata will be over here for a lovely gut wrenching time.

Today the plan was this: three(only did two) 5 minute rounds of Tabata intervals, with 1 minute rests between rounds. NAGA rounds are 5 minutes each, we'll need to simulate NAGA pain as much as possible.
He got 2/3 rd's of the way. Not bad for his 1st try! Most people do not make it past 8 minutes. These workouts are very hard if you push yourself 100%. No shame stopping after round two.




Here's what we done did:
mini ball slams
squat thrusts
pull-up hangs by an old gi (probably the worst of the exercises)
bag tackle (basically do a double leg without your knee touching the mat)
bag spins (spin grappling dummy 360, back and forth)

Two rounds of:
20 seconds on, 10 seconds off x 10 times = 5 mintues
1 min rest between rounds



He'll probably be a bit sore tomorrow :)


Later!
Mark
p.s. as I sit here, I'm realizing I might be bit sore in the quads too. Hell yeah! 
p.s.s. post workout recovery :)

2 comments:

  1. Holy crap that sounds brutal. Good work out! My husband is trying to get me to do Tabata.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found Tabata's to be the most time efficient workout. All you need is about 15 minutes, and you're done! The only trick is to push yourself at 100%!

    ReplyDelete