Tuesday, September 21, 2010

All great masters...

...are chiefly distinguished by the power of adding a second, a third, and perhaps a fourth step in a continuous line. Many a man had taken the first step. With every additional step you enhance immensely the value of your first. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Helllo!
I've not been away, I've been secret squirrelling :)

Today I wanted to drill some basic BJJ techniques to:
1. Keep sharp
2. Test my body to see how things go.

I feel tiny bit rusty, but not too bad. I drilled techniques with The Dude and the Nigerian Nightmare today. Just some things I think increase my odds of effectiveness. A triangle setup and some halfguard concepts I researched. I'm building a small rolodex in my mind of a few techniques I want to be my go to moves. My little safe zones to get good at, and expand from there. It's easy to want to build a 10000 technique library yet suck at all of them. I'm focusing on a few things, while ignoring a lot of other things. Actually ignoring isn't quite accurate. It's more of store the technique to be aware of it and come back to it as my arsenal needs to expand.

Ever notice how the superstars in any discipline get typecasted by their technique? Marcelo Garcia's armdrags, Roger Gracie's full mount/x-choke, CroCop's roundhouses and the UFC ring-girls'...eyes. I assume this is a natural progression of finding the answer to one's personal riddle. Right now, I'm all knotted up in this riddle to determine what I'm good at and what works for me (even if I'm not good at it).
My injuries are good. I'm not in any pain, just when I wake up in the morning sometimes I feel like King Arthur is pulling Excalibur out of my gut. Yet, this is happening less and less everyday. Today after drilling and even after about 10 minutes of light rolling with the Nigerian Nightmare I feel pretty good. Although the fat bastard FELL on the back of my head attempting some half retarded guillotine swan dive... Now my neck hurts like hell. We'll see how it goes in the morning....

I'm off to bed!
Later
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment