Monday, August 30, 2010

It is fatal...

... to enter any war without the will to win it. ~MacArthur

Yesterday...
The Dude came over...after I picked him up...Yeah, that's right. I had get off my lazy ass and go find someone willing to endure sweating in my hot garage, until blood dribbled out of our eyes. It was about 6:30pm and approximately 6000 degrees hotter than the surface of Mars in the un-airconditioned Bat Dojo. This is purely by choice, for one day I'll be telling my kids and students, in my crustiest old man voice, "Hey! You little bastards! I remember when we trained and didn't have fancy stuff like fusion reactor powered ice makers and fix your own torn-ACL machines!"

For today's workout I reorganized the prior workout's exercises as an experiment to maximize efficiency. Which in English means, sucks more. This new sequence has the maximum deflection exercises grouped together. For example pullups and planks since pullups was a large upward BPM jump and the plank was a large BPM drop. I matched up each exercise in descending order, so the largest swings were first.

This time the pattern was thusly:
Each exercise is 30 seconds, the whole thing ran through twice for a total of 10 minutes.

pullups
plank

pushups
bicycle kicks/weight situp thingy

F up the bag with punches
1/2 pushup hold

20lb upright row hold
crab plank

pullup hold
leglift situp

For the prior workout, I stated it sucked. This time it was the deep, dark vacuum of space suckage. I could really feel this one! The shitty part was a series of hitting the bag, 1/2 pushup, then the 20lb upright row. That trio pretty much wrecked any chance of me walking on my hands as a circus clown for a week. I'm sore, the day after!

The cool part is my Garmin software allows me to compare multiple dates! Very neat shit and here's the comparison. The blue area is TODAY. The pink was the prior, non optimized workout.


Both workouts have a 1 minute lead in, of just standing there ready to attack. The workout lasts for 10 minutes, ending at the 11 min mark.

Starting at the left, I noticed I started this workout at 10 BPM higher than prior. Unplanned, just the way it happens. This workout there was no real psychosomatic lump, but if one looks carefully, my BPM started ramping up RAPIDLY about 30 seconds before the 1:00 min mark...and I was just standing there! Totally mental for sure.

This workout seems to have had 10 major peaks vs 7 in the prior workout. Although suprisingly, I was expecting greater troughs during the rest periods. Yet now that I think about it, I had matched the lower deflection exercises together so it makes perfect sense especially at the 6 - 8 min and 8 - 10 minute pairs of exercises. These exhibited low troughs in the rest periods. Which I suppose is good, it means there is rest, but just not that much!

Some fascinating ending points are marked. BOTH workouts ended within 1BPM of each other. How cool is that??? For recovery, we also see several dampening waves at about the 12 min, 15 min, 17 min, and 19 min points. I have no clue what's going on here. I pretty much just stop what I'm doing and start walking in circles around the mat, then eventually plop down on to my ass for a few minutes. I'm not sure if this is a physiological harmonic from the prior pattern or some sort of weird coincidence.

Here's some pictorial proof that we even did anything:

Bicycle Kick with Weight

Bruce Lee


Who has the better right hook, The Dude....

or me???

  More bicycle kicking with weight thing of doom.

1/2 Pushup holds pretty much suck. I'm not smiling, I'm about to pop a vein in my head...


Later,
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment