Sunday, July 11, 2010

Farming Gone Bad!

Today I dug through the internet looking up formulas for force, impact energy, kinetic vs potential energy all that stuff we learned in high school/college science classes...but forgot. My goal was to calculate how hard my 25 lbs basketballs hit when I slammed them onto the cement. Some online calculator did say I used 56 calories to pick that bastard up. So I guess that's kinda cool. Annoyingly, my poor math skills demonstrated a wildly impressive variance in solutions. One time I came up with over 5200 Newtons or about 12000 lbs of force. Uh, nope, the next time I did the equation I came up with a more reasonable 595 lbs of force. Yet, who cares how much energy is expended and impacted? All I know is I get really tired doing it and enjoy the hell out of breaking shit. Here's a nice little shot of some DIY carnage.
Multiple layers of Gorilla Tape didn't help. It somewhat reminded me of the Death Star upon explosion...while sandblasting my most sacred of nether regions.

Today's carnival was twice the pain and suffering as last. Four minutes is all we had to do. This time I had no clue as the the length of time, it was purely task oriented. Get shit done as fast as possible, I don't care how much you cheat, lie, steal or bribe the neighbor kid to do it. Just get it done.

The task was simple. Fill my wheelbarrow with a bunch of random heavy crap, run it to the other end of my half acre, unload one piece, and do an exercise with it. Then, run the wheelbarrow back, unload another piece, do something freakin' cool with it and run the wheelbarrow back... The only stipulation: the heavy as hell, wobbly as a drunk, 35lb cement atlas ball had to be the first in and the last out.

Here's the junk to carry:
25 lb plate
10 lbs mini ball
14.5 lb kettle ball
25 lb Cement Atlas ball

Here's the field of battle. My dog Zulu making sure the area is secure, while The Dude paces out the length. I think he said about 25 yards. But his legs are nine feet long, so it's probably 3000 ft.

The Dude with the wheelbarrow filled and running.

 Unload the miniball and slam that thing 10 times.

Unloading the heavy bastard.

  Me doing my best monkey impression while swinging the kettelball wildy.

 Carnage. Keep going!

 Sinking the miniball. The soft dirt let us dig holes about 4 inches deep! Yes, we're proud! :)

Here's what we did:
1. Load the wheelbarrow with all tortures.
2. Run the wheelbarrow to the other end (25-ish yards)
3. Unload a single random torture
     a. Miniball - slam it 10 times
     b. Kettleball - swing it 10 times each arm
     c. Plate - 360 rotates around the head 10 times each direction.
4. Repeat #2 then #3 until the wheelbarrow is empty.
5. Run the wheelbarrow back and reload the Atlas ball.
6. Run the wheelbarrow back to a torture, do the exercise then load it.
7. Run back and grab another torture and so on until the wheelbarrow is full again.
8. Unload the whole mess. done! 


Between the two of us, we had an average of 7 minutes. Back and forth running, then loading/unloading and exercises. It was exhausting! I must stress perfect loading form is IMPORTANT. You will hurt your back! Plus the stupid wheelbarrow kept falling over dumping the gear! What a kickass accidental improvement to the whole mess! You had to finish your set then reload all your junk! It sucked! It was wicked!

One last thing...here's a picture I took just as we were done warming up. Perhaps as a reminder of our purpose today? Maybe it's symbolism demonstrating that the struggle for life and death is a constant? Or the fight to survive is all around us, at all times? I don't know, but it was an interesting matchup.

This smaller fighter won by North South choke! Good job buddy!
-Mark!

P.s. I know, I was supposed to show some Bulgarian Bag stuff but it was a bit muddy out and didn't really want them too sloppy as I prefer to use them on my (clean!) mats. Next time!

5 comments:

  1. This is awesome. Intense workouts! You have so much discipline and energy, it's amazing and inspiring. And the photography along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog! As Georgette said it's amazing and inspiring. I really like the stuff that you've put together, patched up and remolded into stuff that gives you happy fun time joy pains!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha thanks guys!
    Oh and I made one mistake. That's a 40 lb Atlas ball, not 25 lb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! I like is that you are finishing your kettlebell swing on your toes. One of my major gripes with athletes who use kettlebells for performance training is that they are often on their heels...and you should never be on your heels in jiu jitsu or any other sport. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Karna! I agree, keeping on ones toes is the best position for mobility.

    ReplyDelete